Is this a million dollar cupcake? Maybe! It may look simple, but the taste of this cupcake is so fabulous, its gotta be worth a million bucks! So, I am toying with the idea of entering the Pillsbury Bake Off contest… but I dunno. I feel like I have tons of ideas, but I just don’t know if any of my recipes are good enough! The recipe I am planning on submitting, if I do, is a banana nut cupcake with a , get this, cinnamon cream cheese chocolate frosting. Try saying that 5 times fast… yikes. I came up with the recipe based off of my favorite milk shake: chocolate banana. It really is the best milkshake flavor out there! What is your favorite flavor milkshake?
Anyway, the cupcake itself has lots of flavor even though I only used 2 bananas. The secret? I added in a packet of banana cream pudding mix! Wow, does that help keep your cake moist! I also added in some chopped pecans for texture and to help cut the sweetness. The frosting is AMAZING. I could make a whole bowl of it and eat it from a spoon while watching Modern Family. Seriously addicting stuff. I made a small batch of cupcakes and a regular 9×13 cake. The cupcakes were delicious, I am still waiting for the verdict from my hubby’s co workers about the cake. I know I love it because I love the flavors, but not everyone enjoys banana. It’s a risky flavor combination, I know, but I also think that the combination is such a classic. I could even throw in a peanut butter ganache center, just to really hit it out of the park… mmm next batch I will definitely be doing that.
I just don’t know! What do you think???
So if you are interested in trying these cupcakes, here is my recipe! Hope you enjoy and let me know what you think!!
Banana Nut cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Chocolate Frosting
Ingredients for cake:
1 box yellow cake mix
1 box of banana cream pudding mix
1/3 cup of oil
1 1/3 cup of milk
1 tbsp of ground cinnamon
1 cup of chopped pecans
2 ripe bananas, mashed
Ingredients for frosting:
4 (1 ounce) squares bittersweet chocolate
2 tbsp of room temperature butter
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
1 tbsp of ground cinnamon
1. Follow instructions on cake mix box. Add in pudding mix, chopped pecans, mashed bananas, and cinnamon. 2. Mix for 2 minutes on low speed.
3. If making a cake, either spray with cooking spray or butter and flour pan. If making cupcakes, line your cupcake pan.
4. Bake according to box suggestions.
5. While the cake is baking, make the frosting. Have all frosting ingredients at room temperature. Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler or microwave oven. I melted mine in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl in 20 sec increments. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Pour melted chocolate into cream cheese and mix on medium speed until well blended. Add in the vanilla and pinch of salt. Slowly mix in the confectioners sugar. Scrape the sides of the bowl and increase mixer speed to medium-high. Slowly add milk until the frosting is spreading consistency.
6. Once the cupcakes or cake is done take it out and let it cool. If you frost the cake you will have runny frosting. Once the cake/cupcakes are completely cooled, frost your cake. You can garnish with an extra pecan, a sugared pecan if you have any of those lying around, or rim the edges with chocolate shavings! YUMMY!