Okay, it is Easter time, so what does that mean for you? For me it means spending time with my family, dying eggs, maybe going on an Easter egg hunt, and of course enjoying a delicious meal. We would always go over to my Auntie Joy’s house and have a feast! She would always have a Honey Baked Ham, scalloped potatoes, green beans, Parker house rolls, scalloped apples, and deviled eggs. MY FAVORITE. I could seriously eat an entire cartons worth of deviled eggs, I don’t care how big of a stomach ache I get! My hubby is a huge fan of deviled eggs too. Who isn’t really? Well I thought it would be fun to kick these puppies up a bit by giving them a kick of color. What do you think? I mean we we dye the shell, so why not dye the egg itself? I am thinking of dying my deviled eggs for the the of July red, white and blue, just to be fun! These were fun to make, but did make the apartment smell a little, so I suggest doing these in a well ventilated area. I also used neon dyes which gave me great bright colors. The kids will LOVE these and I am pretty sure the adults will too.
I always use mayo, Dijon and yellow mustard, in my deviled egg filling. I like adding in a little splash of vinegar, and sometimes some relish. I have also added in mashed avocado which I loved, but my mom wasn’t a huge fan. Paula Deen, of course, makes some fabulous new takes on deviled eggs. I can’t wait to try her southwestern filling! Yum!
Dyed Deviled Eggs
- Hard boiled eggs, shelled, cut in half, yolks separated from whites
- Food coloring
- Cider vinegar
- Create your deviled egg filling to your liking.
- Using ramekins or small dishes, fill them with water, until there is enough water to cover half of an egg. Add in 3-4 drops of food coloring per dish, depending on how many colors you are using.
- Add in a splash of cider vinegar to each dish.
- Take the egg white and put it into a dish with colored water.
- Leave in for 5 minutes or more depending on how dark you would like the color.
- Take them out and drain onto a paper towel.
- Pipe in your filling and serve!