So this year for my birthday I went to see a psychic with one of my best girl friends. It was something I always wanted to do and it was so fun! My psychic was so accurate it was scary! One of the tidbits she shared with me was that being a vegetarian was important in my life, but she couldn’t really say why. She thought that I might write a book along those lines… who knows. But that got me thinking about my eating habits and I have kept it in the back of my mind since then. So finally Chicago got some spring like weather and I immediately thought of grilling burgers. Not so vegetarian though… but I LOVE cheeseburgers! They are without a doubt one of my top 5 favorite foods in the world. I went out and bought a few ingredients to make some amazing burgers and then I got to thinking, what if I tried to make my own black bean burger? Crazy right? I mean vegetarians love them. I love black beans. It could be a good match for me. Luckily I had a half a can of black beans sitting in the fridge begging to be used. I found a great base recipe on allrecipes.com, but of course I tweaked it. The result?
FREAKING FANTASTIC!! Seriously! I mean look at this picture… who wouldn’t want to bite into that? All that queso!!!Drool…I am now a total believer in black bean burgers, and that is saying a lot considering the cheeseburger is very dear to my heart! This is a great alternative to your everyday burger. The recipe I followed had lots of Mexican spices in it, which is probably why I chose to follow it in the first place, which made this burger super hearty. I also decided to top my burger with queso. My logic? Well since I am eating a “healthy” burger, it is ok to top it off with something not so healthy. The queso on top really complimented the burger, it was amazing. I had the hubby try a bite of my black bean burger and he was super impressed. After a minute he goes “Wait, there is no meat in there?”. I think that just about says it all… this burger can fool anyone! It is so amazing and I will for sure be making these more often. I liked how I didn’t feel so heavy after eating it too. This black bean burger will change your mind about vegetarian burgers, I promise!
Meaty Mushroom and Black Bean Burger
Adapted from Homemade Black Bean Veggie Burgers
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 mushrooms, cut into small chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup garlic croutons, crushed like breadcrumbs
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- In a skillet, saute the mushrooms and garlic together with olive oil until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Then stir into mashed beans.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs and mushrooms/garlic until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.